- 2 Cups of yellow or white cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of finely minced jalapeño peppers
- Canola oil to cover
- 1 cup of AMB beer, we used Hop Rain Drop, but encourage you to try out different styles
- In a large cast-iron or dutch oven, heat the canola oil until it reaches 375 degrees.
- In one bowl combine the cornmeal, baking powder, cayenne, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the beer, eggs, green onions, and jalapeño peppers.
- Next, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using as few strokes as possible. The mixture should resemble wet sand. If needed add more beer.
- Line a plate with paper towels to set hushpuppies on after you pull them from the hot oil.
- Round your hushpuppy mixture using a small cookie scoop, a teaspoon, or by hand before dropping the mixture into the hot oil.
- Fry in batches of 5 to 6 for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
* Best enjoyed with friends! Recipe yields about 15 hushpuppies.